OHSAS 18001, created in the past by the British standardization institute. As there was no ISO Standard on the subject, OHSAS 18001 gained strength in several countries and became a reference.
In March / 2018, after years of discussions, ISO officially published ISO 45001: 2018 – Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems, the Standard that has since become the largest reference on the subject since its publication. In an agreement published by the IAF (International Accreditation Forum), companies certified in OHSAS 18001, will have 3 years for the migration process, where they must undergo a new audit and obtain ISO 45001 certification.
For those companies that are not yet certified, ISO 45001 certification has become even more practical, as its easy integration with ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 Standards facilitates implementation and maximizes the expected results with an integrated management of quality, health, environment and security, the so-called QSMS.
- ISO 45001 certification promotes several benefits for certified companies, including:
- Control of hazards and risks in the organization;
- Compliance with applicable legal requirements for OH&S;
- Prevention of labor claims for correct management practices;
- Prevention of incidents in the organization;
- Better image of the company for employees and other interested parties; among others.
There are already several companies certified under ISO 45001 and the expectation is that in a short period of time the ISO 45001 certification will exceed the number of companies certified under ISO 14001, a standard already consolidated and available on the market since 1996.
QMS has followed the development of the Standard since the first drafts of the ISO / TC 283 technical committee. Our auditors have proven competence in the subject and are developed based on global practices from QMS Certification Services. For more information please contact us.