What is ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018:
ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018 is an international standard that defines the requirements for IT service management. It originated from the BS 15000 standard and is fully based on the ITIL framework. This standard is in its third edition and aims to provide organizations with a set of capabilities and processes to direct and control activities and resources, covering service planning, design, transition, delivery, and improvement to deliver value.
Which companies does ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018 apply to:
ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018 applies to various companies, including:
- IT Companies: Providing solutions through service platforms.
- Traditional Companies: Providing solutions through large IT departments.
Benefits of ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018:
Implementing this standard brings several benefits to companies, such as:
- Standardization of management processes: The standard establishes clear guidelines for the processes involved in service management, ensuring consistency and efficiency.
- Error and rework reduction: By following the recommended practices in the standard, organizations can minimize errors and rework, improving the quality of services delivered.
- Financial improvement: The standard assists in reducing operational costs, promoting efficiency, and proper resource control.
- Increased service quality: ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018 encourages excellence in service delivery, resulting in higher customer satisfaction.
- Increased customer satisfaction: By adopting the standards of the standard, companies can improve the quality of services, contributing to customer satisfaction.
- Independent recognition: Certification in ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018 is an external recognition of a company’s commitment to following the best practices in IT service management.
How does the certification process work?
For a company to be certified in the ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018 standard, it needs to follow a certification process conducted by an accredited certification body. The process generally involves the following steps:
The company interested in obtaining certification in ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018 should familiarize itself with the standard’s requirements, establish an implementation plan, and designate a team responsible for conducting the process. The implementation can be carried out by an internal team, or the company can choose to hire a consultancy.
The company must implement the processes and practices required by the standard, adapting them to its organizational context. This may include creating policies, procedures, controls, and necessary records.
Before the external audit, it is recommended to perform an internal audit to assess whether the organization is complying with the standard’s requirements. This allows for the identification and correction of any non-conformities before the final audit.
Once the company is ready, an accredited certification body will be contracted to perform the external audit. The auditor will review the company’s processes and practices to verify compliance with ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018.
If any non-conformities are identified during the external audit, the company must implement corrective actions to address the issues raised.
After the successful completion of the external audit and resolution of any non-conformities, the certification body will grant certification in the ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018 standard to the company. This certification is usually valid for a certain period, with periodic audits to maintain compliance.
It is important to emphasize that obtaining certification requires a continuous commitment from the company to maintain and improve its IT service management processes according to the standard’s requirements.
ISO/IEC 20000-1:2018 is an essential standard for IT service management, applicable to both IT companies and traditional companies with large IT departments. Its implementation brings a range of benefits, including process standardization, error and rework reduction, financial improvement, increased service quality, customer satisfaction, and independent recognition. By adopting the requirements and practices of the standard, organizations can significantly enhance their operational efficiency, the quality of services provided, and customer satisfaction, making them more competitive in the current market.